||Last updated: 15-March-2003
Records show that there has been a football team at Broomfield since 1877, but the
Broomfield Football Club was formally established as a Club in 1905, when the village
consisted of mostly farm workers and hands working at the big houses.
The only breaks in the clubs history came during the two World Wars, but since then
the club has played in the local Junior Leagues and the Mid-Essex League.
In 1979 the Youth Section was formed financed by a donation of seventy pounds from the parents
and this has proved to be the best investment ever made for the youth of Broomfield and
From this small beginning blossomed the Club as it is today and it has now grown
from one junior team and one senior team to a club with ten junior teams under 16 and
five senior teams.
In 1985 the Club decided that it needed more facilities and approached Mr. Bucknell a
local farmer. Negotiations were started and a parcel of land of approximately 8 acres was
earmarked for the club. At a special meeting the go ahead was given to start raising funds
to purchase the land and a development committee was formed.
Planning permission was obviously required and a planning application was submitted
to the local authority. Local councillors, who were sympathetic to the cause, supported the
application and after a great deal of wrangling at a planning level, planning permission was
The land as it is seen today is the result of the labours and efforts of the development
committee and all the Club members and the purchase of the land came from monies
raised from members various fund raising schemes.
The preparation of the land for football pitches including drainage, the sowing of grass
seed and the purchase of equipment, required further fund raising and grants and loans
were sought and obtained from the Broomfield Parish Council, Chelmsford Borough
Council, the Sports Council and Football Association Trust.
The achievement is no act of a single member but a combined effort embracing all
Club members, their wives, friends and relatives who have seen the club come a long way
since 1905 and even further since 1979.
In 1991 the club won County Honours for the first time when they won the Frank
Rosser Trophy for Under 15 teams.
Also in 1991 the club gained County Intermediate Status and joined the Essex Intermediate Football League and at the end of
the 1993-94 season gained promotion to the Senior Division One as runners up in Senior
Division Two. That season also saw the Reserve team gain promotion from Reserve
Division Three into Division Two and at the end of the 1995-96 season, they went up to
Reserve Division One as champions.
The 1997-98 season sees the Senior Side reach the final of the Essex Intermediate
Cup for the first time ever.
THE WERLTE CONNECTION
It all started in 1979 when a local newspaper, the Newsman Herald, published a plea
from a football mad West German Willfried Lubs, asking for a local junior Football Club
to become involved with his own junior Football Club on an exchange basis.
Broomfield answered the plea and in early 1980 Willfried visited Broomfield and
arranged the first Werlte visit in July 1980.
Since then exchanges have followed every year and about 1,000 boys, parents and
relatives have travelled to Werlte during that period.
The village of Werlte has a population of about 4,000 and is situated approximately an
hours drive from Bremen in a westerly direction.